[PLUG] Another working wireless USB adapter

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 10 23:10:30 UTC 2008

Before I bought the MyEssentials wireless USB adapter, I mail
ordered a couple of brandX ZyDAS adapters, to try out some
other kinds.  One is still on the way from Hong Kong.  The
other arrived today, and works OK.

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/8054wiusb20d.html
USB ID: 0ace:1215 ZyDAS
$18.98 including shipping

Unlike the MyEssentials I wrote about a week ago (ID 050d:705c),
this uses one of the older ZyDAS USB IDs and is supported by the
USB ID tables in older (2.6.18) drivers.   However, for my distro
at least (Scientific Linux, a RHEL5 clone), it still needs the
firmware in /lib/firmware/zd1211 , which can be downloaded from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=129083

We will see what the $9.98 Hong Kong USB adapter will do.
It may take a while to get here.

These will be useful at the Linux Clinic on the 19th.

Keith