[PLUG] Another working wireless USB adapter

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Oct 12 19:44:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:31:41PM -0700, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> another "just works, without ndiswrapper" adapter that i just picked
> up cheaply from newegg is this fellow:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130111
>
> not the sveltest kid in the bunch, but in my incredibly-wifi-crowded
> area (11 networks found by iwlist scanning, 15 found by the windows
> utility it ships with), i wasn't going to get reasonable reception
> with something that looked like a usb thumb drive with no antenna
> anyway.
>
> ubuntu 8.04 found it without issue and it works fine in XP as well.

That is a useful looking device!
The Zonet ZEW2500P is a small external USB-cabled unit.
Newegg is out of stock, ewiz.com claims to have them for $22.79
before shipping.  However, when I google for Zonet, I get a "This
site may harm your computer" warning, so I'm not going there.
According to the Provantage spec page, it transmits at 17dBm
(50mW) in B mode and 13dBm (20mw) in G mode - good for a nearby
access point, less good for a distant one.

I would still like to learn more, though.  Could you please:

1) Tell us what the FCC ID is (should be on a label on the bottom)?

2) Tell us what /sbin/lsusb says the ID is?
   I'm guessing:   148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp

3) Extra credit: with /sbin/lsmod, can you figure out which driver
   it uses?  I'm guessing Ralink RT73 .

Thanks!

Keith