[PLUG] Another working wireless USB adapter

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:54:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:44, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:31:41PM -0700, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> another "just works, without ndiswrapper" adapter that i just picked
>> up cheaply from newegg is this fellow:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130111
>>
>> not the sveltest kid in the bunch, but in my incredibly-wifi-crowded
>> area (11 networks found by iwlist scanning, 15 found by the windows
>> utility it ships with), i wasn't going to get reasonable reception
>> with something that looked like a usb thumb drive with no antenna
>> anyway.
>>
>> ubuntu 8.04 found it without issue and it works fine in XP as well.
>
> That is a useful looking device!
> The Zonet ZEW2500P is a small external USB-cabled unit.
> Newegg is out of stock, ewiz.com claims to have them for $22.79
> before shipping.  However, when I google for Zonet, I get a "This
> site may harm your computer" warning, so I'm not going there.
> According to the Provantage spec page, it transmits at 17dBm
> (50mW) in B mode and 13dBm (20mw) in G mode - good for a nearby
> access point, less good for a distant one.

fortunately, my access point is 25 feet away.  however, it sees so
many networks with reasonable (>25%) signal strength, none of which
can be closer than 50 feet (and through at least 2
100-year-old-walls), many of which have to be further away just to
judge from the layout of nearby housing.

> I would still like to learn more, though.  Could you please:
>
> 1) Tell us what the FCC ID is (should be on a label on the bottom)?

FCC ID PQP-WU233G