[PLUG] Another working wireless USB adapter

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Oct 12 21:41:56 UTC 2008

... Zonet ZEW2500P usb wireless adapter ...

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 01:35:53PM -0700, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> 2) Tell us what /sbin/lsusb says the ID is?
>>   I'm guessing:   148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp
>
> lsusb reports:  Bus 005 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp.
>
>> 3) Extra credit: with /sbin/lsmod, can you figure out which driver
>>   it uses?  I'm guessing Ralink RT73 .
>
> and lsmod is very confusing (i was going to say "it uses driver X!"
> during my first post, and couldn't figure it out from lsmod or
> dmesg...)
>
> rt73usb                28928  0
> rt2500usb              26368  0
> rt2x00usb              14720  2 rt73usb,rt2500usb
> rt2x00lib              25344  3 rt73usb,rt2500usb,rt2x00usb
> rfkill                 10128  1 rt2x00lib
> input_polldev           6928  1 rt2x00lib
> crc_itu_t               3584  1 rt2x00lib
> mac80211              192532  2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
>
> plus the following from dmesg:
> [   32.946361] phy0 -> rt2500usb_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RT
> chipset detected.
> [   32.946366] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate device.
> [   32.946398] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2500usb
> [   33.234853] phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'simple'
> [   33.298839] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb

That is indeed the RT73 driver, usb version.  These drivers are often
built up out of many modules.  You described it just right, and this
will help others who buy the device.

>> 1) Tell us what the FCC ID is (should be on a label on the bottom)?
>
> FCC ID PQP-WU233G

That is useful to others to tell if they got the same product as you -
sometimes the manufacturer will change the guts and the chipset
without changing the product model number.   When the manufacturer
does that, they are required to change the FCC ID, which is why
that is valuable to the rest of the community.  Thank you!

However, if you are an obsessive nerd like me, you can learn all
sorts of additional stuff about your device.  Go to:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

You can enter "PQP" for the Grantee code, and "-WU233G" as the
product code, and then click Detail to get to this page:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=395176&fcc_id='PQP-WU233G'

You will need to install the Traditional Chinese Fonts to view
some of the PDFs,  available for free download from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontpack.html

Then you can look at the manuals schematics, pictures of the guts,
etc.  Sometimes the internal pictures are the only way to tell
which exact chip is used - in this case, an RT2572T MAC chip and
an RT2526L transceiver chip.  The 93C66 is a 4Kbit serial memory
that stores the MAC address, calibration information, and the
legal wifi channels for the US.  Hack that, and you can jack up
your power, have your very own wireless band, interfere with all
all sorts of other communication, and get the FCC on your ass :-/ .

Keith