[PLUG] USB Wifi - My Essentials ME1001-USB ver. 1000 works!

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Oct 13 05:34:41 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Marc" == Marc Wolsiffer <admin at marcscomputersolutions.com> writes:

Russell> Bear in mind, high transmit power does you no good unless the
Russell> thing you are talking to has a similarly high transmit power.
Russell> All the extra tx power does is evaporate more moisture from
Russell> surrounding trees and interfere with your neighbors trying to
Russell> operate on the same (or nearby) channel.

Marc> This is my first post, Remember a 500mw is illegal if you're
Marc> running it in Oregon.  100mw is the legal limit [...]

I think you are wrong.  The limits are established by the FCC.  You
can transmit with 1W with a 6dBi antenna, or combinations of lower
wattage and higher antenna gain.  For point-to-point, you can exceed
that.  Google EIRP.

E.g.:

  <http://www.michwave.com/bbnetwork/faq/fcc.htm>

For example, the SkyPilot access point devices that MetroFi used,
employed 400 mW radios (26 dBm) and 7.5 dBi antennas.  When you add
those gains together, you get 33.5 dBm, so they are at least a few dB
under the limit.  The antenna gain of most USB or pccard type wifi is
more apt to be around 2 dBi, so more tx power (up to a watt) is legal.

Oregon, as far as I know, has no authority to regulate transmit power
in the ISM bands, and has not attempted to do so.  If I am wrong,
please point me to the rule or legislation.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net