[PLUG] Keymap not being followed on console

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 15 18:05:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> I suggest that perhaps .bash_profile is not executing when you login at
> the console.
>
> Does it load the keymap if you run loadkeys manually?

Eric,

   It's not .bash_profile, but a permissions problem. If I log on a different
console as root the keys are remapped. Logged in as me I'm told I don't have
permissions for the keymaps 0, 1, and 2.

   These appear to be in /usr/share/kbd/, and all directories are world
executable (755) while owned by root.root. The individual i386/querty/*
files are world readable (644) so I don't know where the permission error
originates. The perms from / down match on the workstation/server and the
notebook.

   You've shown me where the problem originates, and I appreciate that. Can
you now suggest how I can determine where the permissions problem is?

Thanks very much,