[PLUG] Can't get past my router

rsteff at comcast.net rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 02:51:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> You need to fix your /etc/resolv.conf file, I'll bet.

and

Matt M. wrote:

> More than likely, when you connected by DHCP, the DHCP server gave your
> machine a new resolv.conf file, and when you get home that doesn't work
> anymore.

Sure enough, resolv.conf was changed by dhcp at Free Geek. It has:

search fglan
nameserver 192.168.253.11
nameserver 192.168.253.12

I have no idea what resolv.conf had before that, and it looks like a backup copy was not made by dhcp. I Linux-Googled [resolv.conf Ubuntu] and found that some other folks have had this problem. I tried copying the concepts they used. Here's what's in resolv.conf now:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.253
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

(Their example was for 192.168.1.x.)

After saving that, they recommend:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I did that, but it didn't seem to help.

Does that resolv.conf look right, or is there something missing?

Now that I know that

search fglan
nameserver 192.168.253.11
nameserver 192.168.253.12

are from Free Geek, when I look at System>Administration>Network from the Ubuntu menu, I see that I needed to remove them from the DNS Servers and Search Domains sections of Network Settings. I don't know what should go back, though. Would that be something like comcast.net?

Thanks for all the help.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens