[PLUG] Suggestions for _really_ small business data backup

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Oct 21 15:52:02 UTC 2008

I have a customer that for years was able to do their backup by creating
an CD ISO image (mkisofs) and burn it (cdrecord).  Over the last few
months it has been failing off and on for no distinctly discernible reason.

The next test is to replace the CD-RW drive but I've tried the process
with an external CD-RW and still get the same kinds of results.

Tape drives are too expensive and, in my experience, not always reliable
without _lots_ of TLC.  In fact I moved them from tape backup in a
desktop system, that had never been tested by actually restoring, to the
CD-RW and it worked like a charm -- or several years.

I'm considering SD or thumb/jump drives as they will hold all their
foreseeable data needs or even Bakula over the network to an off site
system.

Are there other (_very_) inexpensive backup options?  Well besides hope
and prayer.  :-)

TIA,
Rod