[PLUG] Suggestions for _really_ small business data backup

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Oct 22 16:09:45 UTC 2008

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I have a customer that for years was able to do their backup by creating
> an CD ISO image (mkisofs) and burn it (cdrecord).  Over the last few
> months it has been failing off and on for no distinctly discernible reason.

My thanks to all of you for your very excellent suggestions and
observations.

I should have gone on-site before posting because it turned out to be a
case of fat fingers on my part.

This is a small office, just three people, with _some_ computer
knowledge.  The problem was my fix to another issue  missed a leading
slash for redirection of STDOUT.  A script was failing not the backup.

I have a simple script they run in the morning "goodmorning" that gives
a non-threating welcome message, mounts the CD, displays the root level
directories, then ejects the CD.  They put in a new CD and it is ready
for the next days back up.

The missing slash seems to have caused the mount to fail ... go figure eh?

The backup is done with a script via a cron.

Again thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas.  I still suspect they
will have to move on something else as their data grows.  And now I know
others see the same choices I do.

Rod