[PLUG] File upload siteor

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Oct 24 20:02:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:31:28 -0700
> "chris (fool) mccraw" <gently at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:28, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > > But guess what Firefox does now? It opens mplayer and starts to play
> > > the file!
> >
> > that's what you want!  i mean, it may not be what *you* want, but it
> > means the webserver is sending it and is as properly set up as it will
> > ever be.  students who want to save the file instead of listening to
> > it should be directed to right click and "save as".  if you want it
> > not to autoplay, you'll need to zip it or do something else to make it
> > not-an-mp3.
>
> Yeah, I thought of zipping it, and I guess that's what I'll have to do.
> I just wanted to avoid the complication.
>
> A professor recently asked me to address her class (Phonetics) to
> explain to the class how to use the International Phonetic Alphabet on
> their computers. I had created ipa4linguists.pbwiki.com last spring,
> but the students were having problems with the instructions. The
> professor also needed the instruction, so we hooked her laptop up to
> the beamer in the classroom and then I proceeded to demonstrate how it
> is done.
>
> Part of the process was to download the Junicode font from
> Sourceforge.net. The first problem was that about a quarter of the
> class said they clicked the download button on Sourceforge.net, but
> couldn't find the file. They didn't know where their browsers were set
> to download files to. After downloading it to the professor's computer
> we showed them where the file was. Then another quarter of the class
> said they had managed to download the file, but it wouldn't install. Of
> course, the file is zipped. They had no idea what a zip file is.
>
> You will not go broke overestimating the computer illiteracy of
> linguists.
>
> Special thanks to you and Wes for helping me figure it out.

I would submit that the "instruct them to right-click and click Save As" is
the standard way to solve this problem. The ZIP method is ok too, but would
not be my first choice.

I see you have the link worked out in index.html. Just put an instruction
above the file. You'll still get people complaining of problems, but I would
imagine (someday I'll learn not to do that) that it would be fewer.

-wes