[PLUG] Samba configuration on Ubuntu 8.04 for Win98

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed Oct 29 15:03:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:03 -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> wes wrote:
[snip]
> > Maybe try changing security = user to security = share
> >
> That works -- partly. I can now access /home/rsteff. I also see
> individual directories that I have declared to be shared using Ubuntu's
> GUI file browser. However, I'm still asked for a password to access
> them, and while the "Resource" in the Win98 login dialog is different --
> it says \\MOONGUIDE\PHOTOS (or whatever directory I'm trying to access
> -- it still thinks the password is incorrect.

Make sure the username you are using to login to Win98 is the same as
the user you set up in smbpasswd.  You only get one chance to supply
this username when you first login.  More than likely you are never
asked for this username either.  Remember, this is a really lame OS, and
doesn't handle multiple users very well.

--
Derek Loree