[PLUG] Canonical releases Intrepid Ibex

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 16:57:48 UTC 2008

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:05:43 -0700
> "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> dijo:
>

>> How good is Ubuntu about not messing with stuff I would expect to be
>> left alone?
> I've been using Ubuntu steadily for several years and usually upgrade
> within a few days of the release of a new version. But before I do the
> upgrade I download and burn the live CD for it and give it a try.
> Sometimes I'll wait as much as a month if I am in the middle of
> something at school where the computer is critical to me.
>
> Every time I have upgraded I have found that all my installed
> applications ran just fine afterwards, with only an occasional
> exception.
<...>
> The point I am laboriously trying to make is that the dist-upgrade will
> also upgrade the applications that come with Ubuntu. Sometimes the new
> version of one of these applications will have issues. However, that is
> rare. More likely the new version will have new features, work better,
> or solve problems that the old version had.

That may be the issue I'm having with Samba. I'm finding some things on
the web that suggest that Samba has had significant changes since the
version that installed on SuSE 10.1. I have some time today so I'm going
to try to chase that one down.

<...>
> I plan to upgrade my laptop to Intrepid this weekend. Meantime I am
> watching the Ubuntu forums. If there are any problems they will show up
> there for sure.

Thanks. I'll check those, too.

--
Regards,