[PLUG] Resolved: Samba configuration on Ubuntu 8.04 for Win98

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 22:16:13 UTC 2008

A very helpful resource for creating smb.conf is to be found at:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

The first example showed me what I was missing in my smb.conf:

guest ok = Yes.

Other confusion came about from the proliferation of standards. Somebody
once said, "The great thing about standards is that there are so many to
choose from." As with Windows, in Nautilus there is a way to mark
directories so that they may be "shared" by other computers. When that
is done, they will appear in the tree in Windows Explorer. I had marked
a few directories that way before my attempts to reconfigure Samba.
Those entries could be clicked on, but always asked for a password. On
XP, I could specify the user name, and it accepted my password. On
Win98, I could not change the user name from IPC$, and not knowing
IPC$'s password, those attempts to connect always failed. Using

gksu nautilus

I have un-marked the "shared" directories, and they no longer appear in
Windows Explorer. I had never marked my home directory that way, thus it
was available from those Windows machines on which the user name is also
rsteff. Now, it's also available from my wife's machine. I realize that
it would also be available to the entire Internet if it weren't for my
router, or to any machine I allow to plug in to my home network. That's
an acceptable level of security, here.

My needs are simple: I want to be able to get to any files in my Linux
home directory from any other machine in the house. I don't need to
share any printers, since my printer is a stand-alone network device.
The following is my very simple smb.conf:

rsteff at moonguide:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
#
# Configuration file for the Samba suite based on the Samba-Guide, Samba
by example
# found at:
# http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
#

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
  workgroup = House
  security = SHARE
[rsteff]
  path = /home/rsteff
  read only = No
  guest ok = Yes
rsteff at moonguide:~$

Thanks to all who offered ideas. Eventually, they got me to search for a
HOWTO style of setting up smb.conf.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens