[PLUG] OS Survey at RMLS

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 23:31:54 UTC 2008

Larry Brigman wrote:
>>> Have you tried IE in linux?  I found a site the other day that was a
>>> single install
>>> of IE with wine that did the trick.
>>>
> Sorry, I didn't provide the URL.
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Installation

I finally got around to giving this a try. I followed the instructions,
replacing "edgy" with "hardy" in the appropriate places. In addition to
IE6,I was given the option of also loading IE7.

IE7 doesn't run well. It starts, but never connects to any web site.

IE6 runs. I was able to log in to the RMLS realtors' web site, check out
some listings, and log out. There were only two issues: 1) loading of
images was a bit choppy, and definitely slower than on my XP laptop, and
2) IE6 did not completely shut down. I had to find kill it from a
separate terminal window.

While it's not ready for everyday use, it is a step closer to being able
to work in real estate using Linux.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Regards,