[PLUG] Xubuntu/Thunderbird Outbound Mail

Chris Roberts linux at chrisroberts.org
Wed Sep 3 00:06:39 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Xubuntu/Thunderbird Outbound Mail
From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
To: General Linux/UNIX discussion and help; civil and on-topic
<plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Date: 08/30/2008 02:43 PM

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, wes wrote:
>
>> It's true that mail functionality is not broken, but my point is that you're
>> not likely to break said mail functionality by playing with saslauthd.
>
> Wes,
>
>    Somewhere a directory had incorrect permissions.
>
>> If that is the case, you may want to consider finding another way to
>> authenticate that host.
>
>    I had not tried to enable SASL authorization until the most recent postfix
> upgrade. Since there is only one affected user, and we had no security
> issues over the preceeding years, I just disabled the check.
>
>    Her mail flows outbound once again and I can use the time for more
> important things ... such as client work.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Rich

Since you have disabled it anyway, this is probably of little use, but I
came across this in the README for SASL:

"IMPORTANT: pwcheck establishes a UNIX domain socket in /var/pwcheck and
waits for authentication requests. The Postfix SMTP server must have
read+execute permission to this directory or authentication attempts
will fail."

From: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html