[PLUG] video TO and keyboard/mouse FROM a laptop

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Wed Sep 3 17:01:28 UTC 2008

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>> I have several machines that run headless or connected to a KVM and the
>> colo.  I'm adding more and will be running out of ports on the KVM.
>>
>> Is there any kind of an adapter to let me use a laptop as the video,
>> keyboard and mouse for another computer.  I've seen mention of network
>> based KVM switches but would only need/want to connect to one system at
>> a time.
>>
>> That make any sense?  Turn a laptop into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse
>> for another system.

At the risk of touching off a chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth, I
use telnet (I hope everybody doesn't pee all over themselves).
I understand that telnet is not encrypted, but then, what are the
conditions in which you would be using it? In my case, telnet works
beautifully and has for years.
Wayne