[PLUG] video TO and keyboard/mouse FROM a laptop

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Sep 3 17:12:07 UTC 2008

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> I have several machines that run headless or connected to a KVM and the
>>> colo.  I'm adding more and will be running out of ports on the KVM.
>>>
>>> Is there any kind of an adapter to let me use a laptop as the video,
>>> keyboard and mouse for another computer.  I've seen mention of network
>>> based KVM switches but would only need/want to connect to one system at
>>> a time.
>>>
>>> That make any sense?  Turn a laptop into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse
>>> for another system.
>>>

> At the risk of touching off a chorus of wailing and gnashing of teeth, I
> use telnet (I hope everybody doesn't pee all over themselves).
> I understand that telnet is not encrypted, but then, what are the
> conditions in which you would be using it? In my case, telnet works
> beautifully and has for years.

My situation is I may need to watch the system boot, or it might be
running MS Windows, or most often something has got itself into snit and
the network is down.

Something else I mentally glossed over when I first posted is I
sometimes place a machine on a network (LAN) to monitor traffic over a
long-ish period and don't want to have to leave a monitor and keyboard
there taking up room.

Rod