[PLUG] video TO and keyboard/mouse FROM a laptop

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Sep 3 17:20:13 UTC 2008

chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I have spent some time too close to an event horizon.  During this time
>> I figured out what I actually should have said I was looking for.  A
>> portable monitor/keyboard/mouse unit.
>>
>> I found only one so far and it is a bit expensive.
>
> seems to me that you could make something equally light, only slightly
> less portable, and much cheaper, by taking a small LCD monitor and
> velcroing a keyboard-with-builtin-pointer-device and tying their
> cables together.

The same idea was just crossing my mind as your message came in.  A
friend from the local user group had a LCD with a folding base --
Samsung I think but they are no longer made.

One could be put into a cheapy technician's case.  Looks like finding a
LCD that will fit and has a removable base is my next project. Darn.  A
quick measurement of my bench keyboard and a case says a Happy Hackers
sized keyboard will be needed unless I can find a slightly larger case.

Thanks Chris.

Rod