[PLUG] cdrecord, SCSI, and CD-RW

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Sep 4 17:48:53 UTC 2008

Galen Seitz wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> Quick question as I'm still testing.
>>
>> Has anyone run a system with both SCSI hard drives and an ATA CR-RW?
>>
>> If so, what distribution and have you had any problems burning a CD-RW
>> with cdrecord?
>>

>> TIA,
>> Rod
>
> My system fits that description.  I use k3b to burn discs, and I
> haven't had any problems.  Sorry I can't tell you the cdrecord command
> that k3b uses.  Before my NEC DVD writer died, I also had success
> burning DVDs.  If you are really desperate, I could burn a disc and
> note the cdrecord command that is used.

Thanks Galen.  I can check that myself.

The problem system, not my workstation, is giving me inconsistent
results when I try to burn from the command line.  I even went so far as
to try using a USB connected CD-RW and had the same issues.
    First round of tests was to blank the CD.  Worked with no problems
on two of three CDs (I still have to run the last one.) from my
workstation which is ATA only.
    Next round will be to pull the data down, build an ISO, and try
burning that.

> galens at toto:~$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

Good.  The other system is only 5.0 (Final) so I'll have to upgrade it
and see if that makes a difference.

Darn system worked for several years but after upgrading from Fedora
Core 1; yeah can you believe that :-) I started seeing problems.  So
possibly a drive getting old but the test with USB connected one puts a
bit of a snag in to that idea.

Rod