[PLUG] Gateway M1626 laptop, AMD64, Realtek

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Sep 9 18:59:29 UTC 2008

My sister has a new job (Citizen Cellular in Tualatin), and unlike
her last job for ATT Cellular where they castigated her for her
disabilities, the new place is rewarding her for high productivity;
she won a Gateway M-1626 laptop.  YAY!

The Gateway comes with Vista and some M$ timebomb apps;  this
afternoon it gets a hard-drive transplant and Ubuntu 8.04 Heron .
She still has a license for windoze 2000 and some old M$ apps,
with install disks, so I may wrap those in VMware or Virtualbox
in case her needs push that way.

I haven't seen the unit yet, so I have no direct data.  My sister
has been using a Mac Mini at home for the last 3 years, win2K
before that.  I've been weaning her slowly from M$;  she is no
tech wizard, but persistent about learning what she can.

Some googling revealed that the CPU is an AMD Turon 64x2 dual core,
it has ATI Radeon X1270 graphics, and Realtek wifi ("Lite-ON
WN6300L" ???).

I'm a little worried about drivers for the Realtek wireless being
flakey with the AMD64x2 processor.  Any suggestions for headache
avoidance with this or other Gateway/AMD64/Realtek issues?

Keith