[PLUG] interesting data transfer bug

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 04:37:47 UTC 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Kurt Sussman wrote:
> Fortunately my laptop is still under warrantee, but unfortunately I
> don't know how to prove it's the hardware other than to describe how
> different version of software all fail. It failed when plugged into
> the
> laptop's RJ port, and it fails when the laptop is docked and the cable
> is attached to the dock. There's only one ethernet chip, so this is
> not
> a surprise.

One thing that caught my eye:
*The* cable?

Maybe it won't matter, but have you done this with "clean" or
possibly less abused cables?

Different cable ports?

A different local switch/hub?

Yeah, I know this can be as annoying as somebody asking you "Is the
computer plugged in", but sometimes we all have to "sanity check"
ourselves by talking through issues with others.

-Bop