[PLUG] DIY wiring supply source?

frank hunt linux at frankhunt.com
Thu Sep 11 16:22:26 UTC 2008

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Stafford Rau wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for a local, reasonably-priced supplier here
>> in town for a big spool of CAT-5 wire, crimp-on RJ-11 and RJ-45 ends, the
>> DSL splitter, and miscellaneous phone junction boxes, wall jacks, etc.
>
> Stafford,
>
>    Much of the standard POTS stuff is available at Home Depot (and probably
> Lowe's, too). Fry's, sigh, has cat5 and cat6 cables, terminals, and crimping
> tools. Probably have the DSL stuff, too.
>
>    Rather than rushing and risking uncontrollable twitching from your wife
> and daughter if the change takes too long, or uncontrollable cursing from
> you for the same reason, consider running new wires first and changing the
> connections to equipment after everything is installed.
>
> Rich

I work at Home Depot (South Beaverton store in appliances now but
formerly in electrical) and we have all of the stuff needed for POTS.
Not sure about the filters however.  There might be some in the
Structured Media systems but I don't recall seeing anything recently.
When I had DSL, Verizon installed the filter at the DMARC so no worries
there.  Now, I'm Comcastic.

--
frank hunt
befuddled linux admin