[PLUG] Power On Problem

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 21:44:18 UTC 2008

I've been working on getting my machine ready to take to the clinic on
Sunday. I've made copies of /home and /etc on a spare partition on the
machine's second drive. I moved my t-bird profile to this old Win98
laptop. I shut down the desktop overnight. When I went to start it up
just now, I got some beep codes. (I need to open up the case to remind
myself what mobo is in there so I can go look up the codes.)

The immediate question is why it should have trouble starting up when
it's cold. This has happened before when the power went off, and the
battery backup ran down before I got home to discover it. I'll leave the
power on for a while and see if, after warming up, it will boot.

Any other thoughts on what may be wrong?

While it's hare to sound out beep codes in text, here's an approximation:

Within 5 seconds of pushing the power on button I hear:

di-dit
pause
dit, dit, dit, dit, dit, dit, dit

About 30 seconds later:
the floppy drive and CD drive lights blink once while the mobo beeps:
dit, dit, pause, dit

Consider the first di-dit and each pause to last the same length of time
as one dit.

I can still power down by holding the power button in for a few seconds,
the normal way to power down this mobo.

In the time it took to type this e-mail the board must have warmed up
enough because the machine is now booting. Do I guess correctly that I
may have a cracked trace on the board somewhere?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens