[PLUG] Power On Problem

Mike Neal miken at hotsushi.com
Thu Sep 18 22:06:30 UTC 2008

>The immediate question is why it should have trouble starting up when
>it's cold.

I have this problem with a SATA drive from Seagate. The track
alignment is borderline and when cold, the boot file is not found.
After 10 min. there is no problem. I copied the warm drive to another
Seagate and there is no problem.

>While it's hare to sound out beep codes in text, here's an approximation:
>
>Within 5 seconds of pushing the power on button I hear:
>
>di-dit
>pause
>dit, dit, dit, dit, dit, dit, dit
>
>About 30 seconds later:
>the floppy drive and CD drive lights blink once while the mobo beeps:
>dit, dit, pause, dit
>
>Consider the first di-dit and each pause to last the same length of time
>as one dit.

Look up your BIOS vendors support site and locate their boot up beep codes.

Cheers,
Mike