[PLUG] Hardware puzzle of the day - desktop won't boot

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 19 02:11:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
> Winterbeast wrote:
> > So far, it sounds like a no video condition. my idea would be to take
> > out everything, most of which you've done,  and see if it will respond
> > with no daughtercards, no drives, no nothing except the video card,
> > memory, cpu. see if it will come up to bios. you might check the
> > monitors. will the monitor work on other systems? might be an issue.
> >
> Good thinking on the video.
> When trying to boot the suspect mother board and system, does the disk
> drive LED flash? Can you telnet or ssh into the box? Can you ping it
> from another machine?

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, but my
access is pretty limited right now.  As for these suggestions: The monitor
works fine with other systems.  I tried pulling out all the daughtercards
and rebooting, no change in behavior (fans whir, no lights or other
activity, no video, no apparent checking for drives or peripherals).

I could no more ping, ssh, or telnet to this box than I could a
cinderblock.

At this point, the only common factor I can come up with is the CPU, so
I'm going to take a chance on a $25.00 recycled Athlon chip and see if
that brings the system back to life.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com