[PLUG] Adding Partitions to fstab in Ubuntu

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 15:15:02 UTC 2008

FWIW, you can still do things the "old way".   For example, this works
on my system:

/dev/sda1   /   ext3   errors=remount-ro   0   1

as does the UUID way:

UUID=538f72a2-fbc0-454f-a058-32d1a0cae8b3   /   ext3   errors=remount-ro   0   1

as does the LABEL way:

LABEL=ubuntu   /   ext3   errors=remount-ro   0   1

They all work.  So if you are more comfortable with the "old way" feel
free to use that.

As for relatime, I have no idea when or why it would be used.  Seems
to be important if you use mutt (from the man page):

relatime
  Update inode access times relative to modify or change time.  Access
time is only updated if the previous access  time  was  earlier than
the  current  modify  or change time. (Similar to noatime, but doesn't
break mutt or other applications that need to know if a file has been
read since the last time it was modified.)

Regards,
- Robert