[PLUG] Getting an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 to run Linux wifi

David Kaplan davek52 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 15:47:18 UTC 2008

I just ordered this Acer Extensa 4420-5239 from Newegg. I got great reviews
and for the price I thought I would give it a try. Here's the specs from
Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115497

Someone mentioned that it has a Broadcom chipset that's not so Linux
friendly, but I didn't see that listed in the specs. It has a AMD M690G
chipset.

Has anyone had experience with one of these or other Acer laptops? The
reason I got this is to promote Linux by sharing the hdd with Vista to show
people how well Linux works. I'm doing a Linux workshop Oct. 25 and wanted
to show it off there. I plan to install Linux Mint, PCLOS or openSUSE on it.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

David