[PLUG] Missing emails

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Sep 23 17:25:09 UTC 2008

frank hunt wrote:
> Last week I was dropped from one of the yahoo groups I belong to due to
> "excessive email bounces".  Yahoo groups has a bounce threshold set
> that, if exceeded, triggers cancellation mail from that group.  The
> stated reason for the last bounce was "no mx or a records for
> frankhunt.com".  This appears to be an intermittent problem, since my
> email is generally running fine.  As a test, I joined another yahoo
> group that sends a test email every hour.  I joined yesterday at 6PM and
> have only received four emails since (6pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm).  Something
> is very wrong here.  My ISP is Comcast.  Incoming mail for my domain is
> routed to my system by dynamic dns through zoneedit.  I use Comcast smtp
> for outbound.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas where I should look?

Start with your mail server logs.  Typically /var/log/maillog.  See if
the connections are even coming in.

I just saw Aaron's post and I'll say I've had many problems with Yahoo.
  Some of those directly related to DNS issues.  Each mail server Yahoo
uses seems to make up it's own mind on what to do with questionable DNS
entries.  Get this fixed and as those changes propagate look at the logs.

I just tried a telnet to your server and it responds quickly.  But that
made me think of a problem an ISP I worked for had with Yahoo and its
groups.  User Quality.  The typical postfix install has a header_checks
file that catches Yahoo Groups all the time.  Six (6) of the same
character in a row.  Your logs should show this as 'ACL 3' message.

Rod