[PLUG] Creative SB X-Fi issues

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 20:53:32 UTC 2008

I installed OpenSuSE 11.0 (x86-64) on a system that has this sound card, and it was not detected. I could not install the beta driver that was made available in April of this year. I understand that this problem also exists with other distros.

Strangely enough, sound does work when Linux is installed as a VMWare image and run on Windows XP, using the same hardware. In this case the driver is snd-ens1371, which cannot be installed in a native Linux installation.

I'm wondering if anyone knows something more current about this. Some users, of course, have just substituted better-supported hardware for this card.

 Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/