[PLUG] How to run fsck on /home partition

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Sep 23 22:10:25 UTC 2008

I just installed Google Earth on my Ubuntu machine. When the install
script finished I let it start the program. I "visited" a bunch of
places, setting place marks as I went. Eventually it froze. I was unable
to shut down the program, and as I switched to other running programs,
they froze. Eventually the system no longer responded to mouse and
keyboard actions and I had to power cycle the machine to get it running
again. When I did, I got a message telling me to run fsck on /dev/sda3.
That's /home on my system. fsck warned against running it on a mounted fs.

Do I need to stop X and run from the terminal?

When I tried to umount /home I was told it couldn't be done. I was only
running a terminal window at the time, but now that I think about it, I
assume there are some hidden files related to X, or maybe something
else, that have to be closed.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens