[PLUG] How to run fsck on /home partition

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:25:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> again. When I did, I got a message telling me to run fsck on /dev/sda3.
> That's /home on my system. fsck warned against running it on a mounted fs.

You will need to unmount /home, and the simplest way to do that is
probably to boot up into single-user mode  (I *think* there's an
option in the default grub boot screen to boot into a rescue mode, or
something like that.  If not, you can edit the grub boot line by
poking around in the menu before you select something.  details:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/grub-boot-into-single-user-mode/ )

Once in single user mode, you can check to see if /dev/sda3 is mounted
by running 'mount', and if it is, unmount it:

'umount /dev/sda3'

then fsck it:

'fsck /dev/sda3'

When that finished, just reboot:

'shutdown -r now'

(don't type any of the quotes above, they just delimit the actual commands)

--Rogan