[PLUG] Google Earth in Ubuntu

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 02:35:00 UTC 2008

I installed Google Earth from a .bin file I downloaded in April. I used
the command:

sudo sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

When if finished I had the option of quitting or starting the program. I
didn't think about the fact that the program would be running with root
privileges and went ahead and started it. It worked for a while and then
failed (as reported in an earlier set of posts). Once I recovered from
that problem I tried running it again. The splash screen displayed and
the program window opened, but the star field did not move and the earth
did not appear. I went looking on the web for folks with similar
experiences and found the warning about not running it at the end of the
install. I found another instruction on how to uninstall it, did so, and
then tried re-installing it the "right" way. Same result -- program
window but no earth. I uninstalled it again and found that there is a
package for it, so installed it once again with apt-get. Same problem.

Any ideas on what to do next?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens