[PLUG] Google Earth in Ubuntu

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Sep 24 04:47:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:35:00 -0700
> From: Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>
> To: PLUG List <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: [PLUG] Google Earth in Ubuntu
>
> I installed Google Earth from a .bin file I downloaded in April. I used
> the command:
>
> sudo sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
>
> When if finished I had the option of quitting or starting the program. I
> didn't think about the fact that the program would be running with root
> privileges and went ahead and started it. It worked for a while and then
> failed (as reported in an earlier set of posts). Once I recovered from
> that problem I tried running it again. The splash screen displayed and
> the program window opened, but the star field did not move and the earth
> did not appear. I went looking on the web for folks with similar
> experiences and found the warning about not running it at the end of the
> install. I found another instruction on how to uninstall it, did so, and
> then tried re-installing it the "right" way. Same result -- program
> window but no earth. I uninstalled it again and found that there is a
> package for it, so installed it once again with apt-get. Same problem.
>
> Any ideas on what to do next?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

I would install and run it as a normal user, not root.  Also, I would
get into Tools > Options and check the box for using graphics "safe
mode".

I have three computers that I try to run it on.  On the ultra-cheap
nvidia geforce 2 card, it works like a champ.  On the ATI Mobility, it
works but I have to be careful or it will crash.  On the new, fancy CAD
workstation at work with a modern nvidia card, it immediately crashes X.
To really troubleshoot googleearth, one needs to take hardware into
acount.  What kind of graphics card do you have?

Carlos