[PLUG] Google Earth in Ubuntu

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 25 21:57:43 UTC 2008

Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> If you ever do get it working, and you have a 32-bit machine, this is a
> worthwhile tweak:
>
> http://groups.google.es/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/e10a5337b0b47ba1#
>
> It not only made the fonts big enough to read, but it made the app
> launch faster.

It didn't have any effect on the medibuntu installation.
> When you run the googleearth.bin installer as a normal user, does it
> create a ~/google-earth/ directory, and a symlink ~/googleearth that
> points to ~/google-earth/googleearth?  If so, launch it by typing
> ./googleearth from your home directory.

When I tried to install it by running sudo googleearth.bin I got an icon
on the desktop that looked like a piece of paper with a padlock and an x
on it. Here's what was inside:

rsteff at moonguide:~/Desktop$ less Google-googleearth.desktop
Google-googleearth.desktop: Permission denied
rsteff at moonguide:~/Desktop$ sudo less Google-googleearth.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Google Earth
GenericName=3D planet viewer
Comment=Explore, search and discover the planet
Exec=/opt/google-earth//googleearth %f
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/opt/google-earth//googleearth-icon.png
Categories=Application;Network
MimeType=application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml;application/vnd.google-earth.kmz;application/earthviewer;application/keyhole

Google-googleearth.desktop (END)

When I tried running /usr/local/bin/googleearth (or whatever it was
named -- I've since un-installed it) I got the same results I got with
the medibuntu install.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens