[PLUG] Going back to Hardy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Apr 1 16:31:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:27:50 -0700
Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> dijo:

> First- download VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO-
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.4/VBoxGuestAdditions_2.1.4.iso
>
> If you aren't running 2.1.4, back up in the directory tree on that site to
> find the version you are running.
>
> Next- while your guest OS is running, in the VirtualBox menus above the
> guest OS window, go to Device | Mount CD/DVD.
> Browse to the downloaded ISO (in your host OS filesystem).
> Poof, the CD should mount automagically inside the guest OS.
>
> Inside the CD should be several files, among which are-
> VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
> VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run
>
> Copy the appropriate version to your HOME (depending on what the GUEST OS is
> running not the host, the GUEST OS must be running 64bit to use the 64bit
> version), give it execute permissions (chmod 777 for example), and run it
> using sudo or directly as root.
> You may need to install kernel headers, gcc, and possibly a few other
> dependencies.
> Once it is done, reboot the guest OS.

I'm having a devil of a time getting this to work.

First, uname in the guest OS says "Hardy32 2.6.24-23-Generic #1 SMP."

My Virtualbox on the host OS is 2.0.4-OSE.

I downloaded the ISO for 2.0.4, got the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file to
~/, and tried to run it from the command line. The error message in the
terminal is "Unable to build the kernel modules, see the log file ..."
Looking at the log file doesn't help much except I did note the
following errors:

Error: Kernel configuration is invalid
and at the end:
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/cmc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_modulke_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make: *** [vboxadd] Error 2

Using Synaptic in the guest OS I have installed all the headers that
said they were for 2.6.24-23*, but can't get the script to run without
the above errors. I also found a PDF for 2.0.4 on the same page as the
ISO, but the instructions for installing the guest additions didn't add
any information.

Still stuck without Guest Additions.