[PLUG] Going back to Hardy

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 04:09:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:02:42 -0700
Matt McKenzie <lnxknight at gmail.com> dijo:

> So again IMHO and my suggestion, install the latest version of VirtualBox,
> and try again, and let us know.
> Also note, you would want to download the latest version of the Guest
> Additions ISO as well (in the same directory linked above).

I'll do that later.

I finally gave up on the Guest Additions. My (probably) only purpose in
installing Hardy was to see if printing an OOo document from 2.4.1 on
Hardy would work better than printing it from 3.0.1 on Intrepid.
Without Guest Additions I can't access my home folder to get the file.
So in desperation I just burned the file to a CD (which the Hardy
machine can see), and dragged it onto the Hardy desktop.

I have mixed results. Many of the printing problems are fixed, but not
all. And the incorrect screen view for the formulas remains wrong,
although at least now all the brackets are printing correctly. I'm
still getting various characters replaced by the same character from
another font. The character appears correctly on screen in the font it
is set in, it's just in the printout where it is the same character but
from a completely different font. That's just weird.

I don't know whether to blame Intrepid, OOo 3.0.1, Gnome, CUPS, the
combination, or the dark side. But I found out what I wanted to know
so, for now, I am not going to mess further with the Hardy machine.