[PLUG] Going back to Hardy

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 2 17:12:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Well, there's Rich for starters.  He used LyX for his book.  I suspect
> he's been ignoring this whole conversation because he knows he'd never
> convince John to use LaTeX.
>   http://www.appl-ecosys.com/the-book.shtml

Galen,

   I happened only incidently to read the message just before yours. I was
ignoring the thread because I don't care if someone's using Hardy, Hardee,
or any specific distribution.

   One amusing incident illustrating the different mindsets of us LaTeX folks
from those who process words occurred on the OO.o mail list. When I upgraded
from OO.o-2.x to -3.x I lost the key bindings I use. For years all my
writing tools have used the Emacs key bindings. I have joe and LyX set up
that way, and so was OO.o Writer.

   Well, one responder kept writing and telling me that I should not use such
"non-standard" key bindings because they're not the Microsoft standard.
Really! The concept of tuning one's applications for personal productivity
is apparently a totally foreign idea to that person. And, in his world,
whatever Microsoft allows is what is to be done. I ignored him, and I did
find where to recreate the bindings I want.

   The only person I knew who used Plain TeX was Dean, an engineer at Sharp
Labs across the river and a subscriber to this list years ago. Just as I
started to learn LyX he challenged me to use that tool to reproduce a resume
for his daughter. It took him two weeks to get it looking good with Plain
TeX. I sent him the LyX version the next day. As far as I know, he's still
writing in Plain TeX. :-)