[PLUG] Going back to Hardy

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 2 17:56:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Fact it, most tools come with choices like that. An old boss of mine
> called it the Chevy/Jaguar choice.

   True, Paul.

> The Jaguar will get you there more quickly (on any given trip) and
> offer you far more creature comforts and features, but at a high
> initial cost and frequent trips to the mechanic.

   Except for the speeding ticket stops. :-)\

>   Chevy            Jaguar
>   ---------------- -------------------
>   nano             emacs
>   PCL              PostScript

> In some cases, the Chevy is good enough. In other cases, the Jaguar is the
> only tool for the job. De gustibus non disputatum est.

   Could also be how much control one wants over the final output. I'm a
touch-typist so I prefer emacs and joe because I don't need to take my hands
from the keyboard to use the trackball. After trying a dozen or so vector
line drawing programs (including Xfig, which I still use on occasion), I
settled on PSTricks which writes PostScript code compliable with TeX. No
more futzing trying to get lines to join without spaces or overlaps, typeset
text lables, and really beautiful output. And all my presentation visuals are
prepared using the Beamer class in LaTeX (which I use within LyX).

Non carborundum illegitimum,