[PLUG] Going back to Hardy

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Apr 2 18:16:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> In some cases, the Chevy is good enough. In other cases, the Jaguar
>> is the only tool for the job. De gustibus non disputatum est.
>
>   Could also be how much control one wants over the final output.

The number of assessments that go into choice of tools is quite large,
though I suspect most can be grouped into four basic categories
(listed in no particular order; they're all important):

  * User preference (expertise, ease of use)
  * Cost (time and money)
  * Feature set
  * Future flexibility

The tricky part is when the choice is colored by unproductive
assessments like choosing one product because it's more fashionable
(i.e., people will think I'm cooler if I work with Tool A instead of
Tool B) rather than because it's better for the workflow at hand.