[PLUG] USB remote control

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Thu Apr 2 21:10:22 UTC 2009

> There appear to be products like this for sale on the web,
> but I would like to find out about linux compatability and
> other issues before I buy one.  Does anybody have first
> hand experience with one of these?

I've used several different kinds of remote RF pointers with my Linux
laptop through the years and have never had an issue (and I do a huge
number of talks every year).  My current favorite pointer is:

	http://www.directron.com/mofxprf.html

Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't seem to be making them anymore.
Their new model has a 1GB flash drive built into the receiver that plugs
into the USB port, but seems to be missing the up/down toggle button
on the RHS that makes the older model so useful to me (boo!):

	http://www.aocusa.com/pview.php?g=Input Devices&c=Pointers&sc=Pointers&model=MO-ST-1G

Anyway, find one that's comfortable for you to use, and then buy a
bunch of them because they do break occasionally.  Also, make sure you
always have a spare battery handy.  The pointer I use requires a
2450 type battery, which isn't always available at the corner supermarket.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training