[PLUG] Extended/wide desktop on Thinkpad - Resolved

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Fri Apr 3 18:43:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:24:05AM -0700, Hal Pomeranz wrote:
> > I was just gifted an analog NEC LCD display and wanted to use it on my
> > T42 laptop for a wide/extended display.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all I can achive so far is cloned display.  Does anyone
> > here have a working Xorg conf for a ATI Radeon based thinkpad they
> > could share?
>
> You don't need to mess with your Xorg.conf (much) if you just use xrandr:
>
> 	http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
>
> Ooooh, I love me some xrandr...

Ooooh, I got me new best frend.

nice clear error messages - the only X change was to set up a virtual
display large enough to accomodate the two screens side by side.

Big Grip Moment - the Kubutu System Settings Display utility:
    * did not emit any reason why it wouldn't do anything besides clone
      the displays
    * when xorg.conf was properly configured to allow the virtual screen
      size it still wouldn't do the task
    * when not doing the task it also reset the previouly good randr
      configured screen arrangement to cloned screens

What a FUG.

Not to waste a lot of time setting up backgrounds and all that stuff

Minor nit about ThinkWiki - searching for dual head or xinerama did not
lead to the wonderful xrandr page.

Thanks Hal, just what I needed and wanted.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity