[PLUG] Distributions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 16:15:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 08:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>    We've not had a distribution flame war for a long time. Nor have we had
> recent responses of the sort, "well, if you changed distributions to my
> favorite [insert name here] you wouldn't have the problem you're reported."
>
>    To reassure everyone that the distribution bigots have not totally gone
> extinct, I direct you to today's "User Friendly":
> <http://www.userfriendly.org/>.

Glad you mentioned this because I've been meaning to ask for some
distro suggestions.

I have no intention of changing from Intrepid x86_64. My motivation is
to convict the module that is causing all the grief that I have been
having with OOo 3.0.1. At the moment my #1 suspect is Gnome. So what I
want is a distro that uses KDE and has not even a shred of Gnome in it.
That means it also can't come with any part of OOo, since OOo requires
parts of Gnome, even on a KDE machine.

The problem I am having is characters dropping out in printouts and
usually (but not always) dropping out on the screen as well. And it
happens in Abiword, KWord and Scribus as well as OOo. So a distro that
has just those three would be perfect, although I can install them if
it doesn't come with them.

Oh, and a live CD distro would make things way easier. Else I have to
install it in VirtualBox, which is kind of a pain. I never did figure
out how to get the Guest Additions working in Hardy-32 that I installed
in VirtualBox. I nstalled it only to see if the bug happened in Hardy
as well, and it does, so I can now delete the virtual machine.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and since I'm not actually going to use the distro, consider this
request [ - FLAME, +curiosity ].