[PLUG] Determining if Old Library Versions are Needed

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Mon Apr 6 18:42:43 UTC 2009

Rich,

>    On my main box I have three versions of qt: -3.3.8b, -4.2.2, and -4.4.3.
> The last is the latest version and I use that to build new releases of apps
> requiring qt4 front ends.
>
>    Is there a clever way for me to determine if any currently installed apps
> use the two earlier versions? I'd just as soon delete the /usr/lib/
> directories for them if they're not required.

If you're using a Debian-derived distribution, you can use the
deborphan command (which comes in the package 'deborphan') to
determine what libraries are installed but not depended upon by other
packages.  Also, if you use aptitude you can browse through the
"Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" section to find out what is no
longer a needed package or library.

Of course this doesn't help if you compiled anything yourself against
certain libraries or if you're using another distro.

tim