[PLUG] Modern Scanner Advise Please

Alex plug at mailswamp.com
Wed Apr 8 21:25:30 UTC 2009

Hello Linux folkz,

My old 7 y.o. HP scanner just gave the ghost, and I'm looking for a new one.
Could somebody please recommend, based on the personal experience, which make or
model of a modern flatbed scanner preferably with the document feeder and either
USB or Network interface or both will work flawlessly with Linux.

Most of the supporter scanners listed here
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
are either severely outdated or no longer in production.
And even those which have supported Status as "Complete" may not produce
expected image quality.

My old scanner ScanJet 6390C, which supported Status was "Complete", from the
day one was always producing a pinkish vertical stripe along the left edge of
the scanned image, which I had to crop to remove this annoyance. I was using
XSANE as a front end interface for this scanner.
May be you have had more pleasant experience with scanning in Linux.

Thank you in advance for any hint or advise,

Alex