[PLUG] Modern Scanner Advise Please

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Apr 8 21:53:29 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Alex" == Alex  <plug at mailswamp.com> writes:

Alex> Hello Linux folkz, My old 7 y.o. HP scanner just gave the ghost,
Alex> and I'm looking for a new one.  Could somebody please recommend,
Alex> based on the personal experience, which make or model of a
Alex> modern flatbed scanner preferably with the document feeder and
Alex> either USB or Network interface or both will work flawlessly
Alex> with Linux.

Alex> Most of the supporter scanners listed here
Alex> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html are either severely
Alex> outdated or no longer in production.  And even those which have
Alex> supported Status as "Complete" may not produce expected image
Alex> quality.

Alex> My old scanner ScanJet 6390C, which supported Status was
Alex> "Complete", from the day one was always producing a pinkish
Alex> vertical stripe along the left edge of the scanned image, which
Alex> I had to crop to remove this annoyance. I was using XSANE as a
Alex> front end interface for this scanner.  May be you have had more
Alex> pleasant experience with scanning in Linux.

Alex> Thank you in advance for any hint or advise,

I bought an Epson V700 flatbed scanner ($500) last fall.  It needed a
epkowa driver via an Epson iscan package to work on my Debian box, but
it is working great for me.

seniorr at aracnet.com