[PLUG] New Mail Log Issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 9 18:15:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Lost Queue Files:
>      ./qfn38BeXMZ021496: savemail panic
>      ./qfn38721d8018551: savemail panic

   A bit of Google taught me that this is certainly a sendmail thing, but my
MTA is postfix. Apparently sendmail plops messages into
/var/spool/clientmqueue, then shuffles them to /var/spool/mqueue, and
finally delivers them.

   Anywho, I looked (first time ever) at var/spool/clientmqueue and found 91
files with none newer than 2005. So I deleted them (except for
sm-client.pid* which has an atime of Sep 7, 2004. Think I can safely delete
that one, too?

   There is nothing in /var/spool/mqueue.

   Still strange. If no one has a definitive answer, I'll wait to see
tomorrow's logwatch report and see if clearing all files from that one
directory makes a difference.

   With this and the still unresolved procmail issue, someone should cue the
theme music from The Twilight Zone.