[PLUG] need help with backups/restores and grub

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Fri Apr 10 01:30:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

> grub finds it (hd0,5). That's the correct location. I use the sudo su,
> then the root (hd0,5) command. No error messages. I use the  setup (hd0)
> command and the output says it found the  /boot/grub/stage1 file and is
> writing (hd0)/boot/grub/menu/.lst.
>
> BUT... It does not write (hd0)/boot/grub/menu/.lst. Anywhere. I check
> the root drive and the old /boot/grub/menu/.lst is still there. Even if
> I rename it, no new menu.lst appears .
>

> What am I doing wrong? Or is Linux still not ready for prime time and
> only for hackers?

Oh, it's ready for prime time.  It's just that the PC BIOS interface
is *long* past it's prime.

The way you did your backup is a little odd and while it can work,
it's error prone.  Without going into too much detail, let's see if we
can help you get your system booting again.

First of all, on all of my systems the menu.lst file is stored at
/boot/grub/menu.lst, not /boot/grub/menu/.lst.  Do you have a
/boot/grub/menu.lst file?

Second of all, I don't know why the menu.lst file should be updated at
all when you reinstall grub on your hd0.  Primarily grub just needs
to know where the bootloader stages are at on disk (which you probably
changed when you overwrote those files).  Have you tried booting since
you redid the grub install?

tim