[PLUG] help with backups/restores/grub

Word Wizard Word.Wizard at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 01:47:55 UTC 2009

That /boot/grub/menu/.lst is a typo. Your  /boot/grub/menu.lst is what
my system uses. I don't know why the  menu.lst file is updated by grub.
That is the output of  the setup (hd0) command. I didn't specify it. I
don't think I can.

You mentioned that the way I did the  backup is a little odd. I found
the syntax online in an Ubuntu forum and slightly modified it to fit my
system/drive configuration. I have two SATA drives (data and backup) in
addition to the primary SATA drive which houses two ext3 partitions (/
and /home) plus a swap partition. I only want to back up the primary
SATA drive with all requite files to restore. Thus the EXCLUDES
statements. They also suggested the other EXCLUDES.

If you have any pointers or alternative command  sequence to backup my
whole system  (minus the  two secondary SATA drives) I would be very
grateful

Thank you,

Word Wizard