[PLUG] need help with backups/restores and grub

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Apr 10 03:07:02 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Word" == Word Wizard <Word.Wizard at comcast.net> writes:

Word> One of the reasons I adopted Linux (Ubuntu Intrepid) was that,
Word> unlike Windows, it SUPPOSEDLY allowed one to fully back up the
Word> entire system, system files and all, and restore them. So if you
Word> installed files or configured your system and made mistakes, you
Word> revert to a previous system. That's the theory. The reality is a
Word> bitter disappointment.

[...]

Word> First problem. Upon reboot I get an "error 15" Can't find the
Word> grub files. They are there but It seems the problem may be with
Word> using UUIDs instead of (hd0) notation. The UUIDs change. What
Word> no-life propeller head chose to use UUIDs anyway?

Realise that the boot loader does not live in a filesystem.  Grub
lives in the MBR of the boot device (or something like that), so
backing up and restoring the filesystems won't install grub for you.
If you are restoring to new (or different) media, you'll have to
reinstall grub on the boot device.  Check grub documentation for
details.

Everything else should work okay, I think with the possible exception
(I don't typically use tar that way, so I'm not certain of its option
semantics) that you probably want to backup the mount points (just not
their contents) /sys, /proc, /media, etc.  That is, you want those
directories to exist in your restored filesystem.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net