[PLUG] Dirvish backups are using *far* too much space

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 14 00:04:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, John Jason Jordan wrote:

>> Actually, I think this is why I added the --inplace flag to dirvish.

> I have been using pybackpack, a GUI front end for rdiff-backup. Works
> pretty nice.

   To add to the archival record, allow me to present the tool I've used for
a dozen years for both incremental and full backups to tape. (I do believe
it will back up to other media, too, but I use tapes for my backups.)

   The tool is called BRU and is now sold [desktop is free, at least for a
trial, I believe] by The Tolis Group <http://www.tolisgroup.com/>. It's not
free, but it has been a super-solid, reliable workhorse. I've restored
individual files, directories, and bare-metal restores to a new drive the
one time the main hard drive failed.

   Perhaps buying a solution is not attractive or justified for a personal
setup, but a reliable backup tool was what I required to migrate my business
computing to linux. As far as I'm concerned, for a business daily
incremental backups and weekly full backups are mission-critical. BRU has
never let me down.

   And, if you want to use tapes for backups, I can unequivocably recommend
the Tandberg SLR drives (other than the '5'). My SLR-60 has performed
flawlessly for 7 years now, and I do buy new tapes now and then. :-)